Sunday, March 11, 2018

Thoughts on 5 Films

1. The Cloverfield Paradox - First, let's talk about Netflix. As I quickly touched on in my Mudbound thoughts, I really appreciate the direction that Netflix is going. I think it was absolutely genius to surprise "drop" a movie on a platform that is easily accessible for millions of people. I was wondering how J.J. was going to surprise us, considering how the previous Cloverfield films were released in such a surprising way. It's getting harder and harder to keep an audience guessing and to be innovative, and J.J. still managed to nail it. Second, as a film fan, I can understand the negative aspects of releasing a film on Netflix. We are losing the theater experience; there is no denying that. I saw both of the previous Cloverfield films in a theater and it proved to be a very intense, claustrophobic experience. It's impossible to get this same experience at home. However, I have been so frustrated at the cinema because the audiences have been so disrespectful and inconsiderate, it's not even worth the frustration. The fact that I can now watch new releases at home, IN PEACE, is a relief. Now, let's talk about this movie because, man, is it a rough one. Both Cloverfied and 10 Cloverfield Lane were in my Top 10 films for their respective years. I'm pretty sure this one might end up in the bottom of my 2018 list. It's so unexpectedly unoriginal. Everything about it is so obvious (*spoiler* of course her children are alive in the other dimension. DUH!). The cast is great, but no-one really stands out. I don't even have anything else to say about it. The end was alright, I guess...

2. It - Maybe I just don't get it, but I thought this movie was so dumb. I've never really understood that whole scary clown thing to begin with, and I don't even remember the original mini-series (I watched it when I was a kid and I wasn't scared one bit). I also think it's almost identical to Stranger Things just with a clown (which, yes, I realize is heavily inspired by Stephen King stories). However, it's not nearly as funny or entertaining as Stranger Things. This film felt forced - the humor, the camaraderie, the story, just everything about it. After I first watched it, I thought it was decent, but the more I think about it, the more I dislike it. However, I am slightly excited for the second one - featuring the adult versions of these characters. The casting is going to be key (and I've heard that Jessica Chastain is the current front-runner for Beverly and...um...no thanks? She's much too good for this. Amy Adams is more appropriate. That seems like a diss, but I adore Amy Adams. I think she's actually more versatile than Chastain.). Also, after reading a few reviews, I've realized that I don't think I've read the book. My New Year's resolution this year was to read more, so I think I'll add this to the list.

3. Thor: Ragnarok - Well, it's certainly funny. If that's what they were going for, then I guess it's successful. I just don't think the full-on comedic approach for the MCU is appropriate. It is about a million times better than the previous Thor movies (both Thor movies are at the very bottom of my MCU ranking. At least this one is in the middle somewhere. Maybe I should do an official ranking? That seems like such a daunting task.). One thing is for sure, I would love a Valkyrie stand-alone movie, and that's the first time I've said that about ANY of the female characters (Black Widow is so boring. Sorry, not sorry.). The story seems a little pointless in the grand scheme of things, but ultimately I was entertained so I'm not complaining. The effects seemed a little cheap to me, which is weird because I've seen people raving about how great the film looks. It's odd how people see things so differently. Anyway, on a side-note: Chris Hemsworth looks a thousand times better with short hair (as most men do). Like, I actually think he's hot now. Still boring, but at least he's much hotter now.

4. War for the Planet of the Apes - WAIT...this is only the third movie?? I feel like I've been watching these films for YEARS. I thought it was the fifth installment, at least. So, is this the final one? It still felt a little bit open, but I don't really think there is much more to say. I didn't really enjoy this one like I did the first two (really? only two? SO WEIRD.). This one was a little bit boring and even though there are some really nice moments, it didn't feel as Blockbuster-ish as the first two. War is never the interesting part; it's what leads to the wars that I find interesting. I did like the symbolism of the little girl as the savior - it feels very relevant to our world and children being forced to rise up and do what's right.



5. Brawl in Cell Block 99 - I read a really good review about this movie from a movie buff that I usually trust, which is the only reason I moved this movie up my long, long list. I am extremely disappointed. It's really bad. Like, really, really bad. After I watched this, I read some more reviews, and it's so odd that they are mostly complimentary, especially of the violence. I'm sort of stunned, because NOTHING HAPPENS for the first hour and 50 minutes (yes, the whole length of a movie), and then when this so-called brutal violence occurs, it looks extremely fake. It's not realistic in any way. The acting is probably the only thing I would say is okay (mediocre at best), but I might be biased because I love Jennifer Carpenter. I don't usually update my worst list from previous years, but if I did, this would surely be on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment