Friday, February 23, 2018

3 Thoughts on Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri



1. Compared to McDonagh's previous films - While In Bruges was one of my favorite films of 2008, Seven Psychopaths is one of my favorite films EVER. I seem to be in the minority of people who think it's as good as it is. In fact, I know many people who hated it. It's because of this loathing, that I didn't really listen to the criticism of Three Billboards - most citing the film as racist (just as they described Seven Psychopaths as sexist). Just because a film showcases racism, sexism, etc. doesn't mean it is racist, sexist, etc. In this regards, I disagree with the people who find the film "problematic". It features several racist characters, none of whom are really shown in any sort of good light. I don't think there is this so-called "redemption" at the end, instead, I think it just shows a story of a man more complicated than just being a "racist". However, I was HIGHLY disappointed with the film, itself. It's....boring. While McDonagh's previous two films were fast-paced, hilarious, layered, and improved by multiple viewings, this one falls flat. I will never have the urge to watch this movie again. It's not a bad movie - I like the story, the acting is phenomenal, and there are a few funny parts. It's just....blah, comparatively.

2. Compared to the other Oscar contenders - This movie won't even make it into my Top 10 from last year. It's SO WEIRD that this movie is a front-runner, when McDonagh's previous films were a thousand times better. And compared to films like Dunkirk??? Really? How is this even a competition? I doesn't make a bit of sense.

3. Compared to other Rockwell performances - *sighs* aaaaah Sam Rockwell. I just adore him. He has a knack for making horrible characters sympathetic. This is why people have a problem with the film. Because the audience doesn't want to like him, but they do - because Rockwell can give depth to a simple man. Similarly, he is wonderful as an adorable PSYCHOPATHIC MURDERER in Seven Psychopaths. You just want to give him a big hug and tell him everything is going to be okay. this isn't his best performance, but I will be so happy if he wins the Oscar (which is likely), because he's deserved it for several under-rated performances (my favorite is from The Way Way Back).

No comments:

Post a Comment