Sunday, January 7, 2018

Thoughts on 5 Films

1. The Fate of the Furious - *spoilers ahead* This is the first movie of the series that I found really disappointing. I don't expect these movies to be great, but I do expect a fun, action-packed ride with ridiculous (but hilarious) dialogue. This one was quite dull, and for the most part, very predictable. I did really like the opening sequence because it was filmed in Cuba (the first since the embargo has been lifted, which is pretty interesting!). I was not surprised at all that Vin had to go "bad" to save his previously unknown of baby (that was foreshadowed like crazy with the talk about having kids right in the beginning), but I was surprised by the appearance of the mother, Elena, because, um....who's that? Apparently, I wasn't alone in forgetting her character existed because I read a ton of reviews that asked the same question. Charlize is awesome as a "bad guy" (as seen in Snow White and the Huntsman), but there is something really wrong with her face in this movie. I think it's her eyebrows? I don't know, I can't figure it out, but it was very distracting. Anyway, I'm not sure I will remember anything about this one other than Charlize's insane hair and Helen Mirren being a great sport (I mean, she's obviously better than these movies).

2. Free Fire - While I haven't loved every Ben Wheatley movie, I think they are all "must see" movies (except maybe A Field in England, I just couldn't get into that one at all). There's always something interesting in his films, though. Whether it's the characters or the juxtaposition of scenes, I always feel like I've watched something new. The cast for this movie is definitely a highlight - Brie Larson and Cillian Murphy are personal favorites. Armie Hammer has a cult following that I can't quite understand (which is weird because he's totally my type), but I did read that controversial Buzzfeed article and it was very rude and unnecessary. Sharlto Copley isn't a great actor, which is a shame, because he started out so strong with District 9, but it's been all downhill from there. The only thing I know Sam Riley from is Pride and Prejudice and Zombies and he was terrible in that, but I'm willing to give him another chance. Even with the strong cast, none of the characters seemed all that interesting which is definitely a huge flaw. The concept is good, but I got bored very quickly because I couldn't care less about any character. Some of the kills were interesting and done very well, like the head being rolled over by the truck (*cringe*), but overall I didn't find it as fun as people suggested it was, and it's definitely one of Wheatley's weaker films.

3. A Ghost Story - This is definitely a movie in which the more I think about, the higher I movie it on my "Best of 2017" list. It originally started at #12, but after a week thinking about it I moved it up to #10, and now I'm considering moving it up another notch. I didn't really know much about it before watching it, but I did hear about the "pie scene". It's fascinating that people focused on this aspect of the movie more so than the sublime ending. The "pie scene" is actually very well done, but it is definitely awkward to sit through (there's about 10 solid minutes of silence as she eats a pie), but it's very effective. I appreciate the commitment and restraint to portray the reaction of loss by utilizing real time and a real action - sometimes it's just about stuffing your face until you throw up. The movie contains some wonderful shots, it moved rather quickly for such a slow burn type story, and Rooney Mara is excellent. Up until the last 20 minutes, I found it to be a strong 3 star movie about love and loss, and ultimately about living (he is stuck as a ghost unable to participate in life), but THEN. Oh, but then...it becomes something else entirely. Something so wonderful, I can't even properly describe it in words, but I can say that I sat for about 15 minutes after it was over in silence just trying to absorb everything I had just witnessed. I have a ton of questions (like wouldn't other ghosts exist in the house?), and I've spent a lot of time thinking about it, which is something I always look for in films.

4. mother! - And speaking of a film that makes me think....this one is in the exact same category. The divide among critics with this movie is so interesting, and I can actually see it both ways. On the surface, maybe, it's sort of batshit crazy, and if you look at it from the metaphor perspective, it's very obvious - therefore, I believe some see that as a failure. However, from my view, it's a masterpiece. I don't even know where to begin. First, Aronofsky has made two other masterpieces with Requiem for a Dream and The Fountain, with the former being in my top 10 favorite films ever. Black Swan is also very strong. Even his movies that aren't high on my list, like The Wrestler and Noah are extremely well-made and well-written films. I couldn't imagine hating this movie. Second, his films all deal with religion in some way - some are way more obvious than others, but knowing that this movie was a biblical metaphor doesn't put me off (even as someone who isn't religious). Third, in the beginning of the movie there is a shot where Jennifer Lawrence backs into the camera and then spins around that is done so well, I gasped and was instantly hooked for the remainder. The story is not subtle in any way, however, I think if you really analyze it, there is a lot more than just the surface. While it's an obvious allegorical tale of Mother Earth and the Bible, it's also a tale of womanhood. The expectations placed on women to be kind, generous caretakers; to entertain, not complain; to not question men, to be complacent; to be the backbone of a relationship while your partner receives the praise and attention. It's also about the idolization we apply to certain artists, and the cults that form around them; the pressure we apply on men to be successful; the outcry and entitlement to "own" a piece of this success. So, while I understand the critiques of it being "obvious", I also think that there is a lot of depth to it. I also think Jennifer Lawrence is incredible in this, and I'm not always a fan. The real highlight for me, acting-wise, though, is Michelle Pfeiffer. Her stone-cold stares are haunting. Also, Kristen Wiig, because it was so unexpected for her to appear. I never thought I would see her in a movie like this. It's so-close to my favorite movie of last year, but Dunkirk edges it out every so slightly. I've held off reading too much about it so that I could really analyze my own thoughts, but I can't wait to dive into reading every article I can find.

5. Fences - Some stories are best for the stage and this is definitely one of them. I found the film very stiff, lifeless, and "stagey". However, some of the dialogue is brilliant. It's so rhythmic in its tone - it moves from baseball to drinking to death so smoothly. It's remarkable that not only can Denzel memorize ALL that dialogue, but he can spew it out with such ease. I'm sure it helps that he's so familiar with the material, but it's still an amazing feat. I realized while watching this that I've actually never read an August Wilson play. I was a Drama Studies major for Christ's sake! How was he not part of the curriculum? Anyway, I think this movie is okay. It could have used some tighter editing, but I did like how dark it gets. I was not expecting to end up hating our protagonist. He turns into a villain very slowly, but very effectively. It's not a movie I will remember, and I don't think it's deserving of any awards (except, of course, for the writing, which it's already an award winning play), but I think if I saw it on stage I would have appreciated it more.

No comments:

Post a Comment