Tuesday, January 9, 2018

4 Thoughts on the Golden Globes

1. The Host - I like Seth Meyers as a comedian, but I don't really think he has the energy or charisma for hosting big awards shows. The Golden Globes are better for him than say The Oscars, because there are no big numbers or productions - it's literally just jokes and then presenting the awards. And in this case, he did a great job. Some of his jokes hit low, but I think that was necessary. It was a tough year for Hollywood, and it's the first big event since the Harvey news broke and the whole #metoo campaign went into full-force, so I'm sure it was pretty stressful to get the tone right. And in my opinion, he did. It was funny, but also serious. My favorite joke was the dig at Kevin Spacey ("I hope he can do a Southern accent because Kevin Spacey sure couldn't").

2. The Show - My favorite part of the show was watching it with my boyfriend who has never watched an awards show before, and has no interest in pop culture whatsoever. I, myself, am an awards show junkie, but I've gotten much better in recent years. I really only watch "the big 3": The Golden Globes, The Emmys, and The Oscars. I just assume that everyone follows entertainment news, but then my bf asked questions like "are they really dating?" about Justin Timberlake and Jessica Biel (they've been married for like 6 years! How did he not know that???), "she has 17 kids?" after one of the E! hosts joked about Angelina Jolie arriving (he knew that she adopted a lot of kids, at least, but found it totally believable that she was up to 17), and my personal favorite "what the Hell does 'woke' mean?" (which has nothing to do with the entertainment industry, but they sure do use the word a lot). He also could not stop laughing at the name "Armie Hammer". You may think he lives in a bubble, but he can tell you exactly how far along the cure for Cancer is, the newest developing technological advances, and he can build a radio from scratch, so I am the one who is clearly in the bubble (and I prefer it that way). Watching movies, tv shows, following entertainment social sites, watching awards shows, etc. all help my sanity, it helps drown out the real world. Unfortunately, with the show focusing on "real world" issues, I couldn't stay in my preferred bubble. I'm sort of conflicted about the whole thing. I do think people in positions of visibility should use their power to highlight a cause they care about, but I don't think a dumb awards show is necessarily the best place for this to happen. I also do think that the whole "Time's Up" initiative is at an awkward stage right now, where there is a lot of support from people who are actually part of the problem. It's a bit hypocritical to wear a "Time's Up" pin if you've recently worked with Woody Allen, or if you're Gary Oldman (who has not only been accused of domestic abuse, but has also always prided himself in NOT being politically correct, using offensive language, and is now suddenly calling for a "change"...UM WHAT?). That being said, there were some powerful moments - let's start with Oprah. It's so easy to make fun of Oprah. My mom and I have a bit that we do anytime someone says anything about bread, we scream in unison "I LOVE BREAD". However, on a serious note (extremely serious, you guys), Oprah has had a very strong impact on my mom's life, and therefore my life. Back in the mid 80s, my mom was in a very abusive relationship and she didn't even know that what she was experiencing wasn't normal. Oprah was just sort of coming into her own with her new talk show, and she used her visibility of being invited into the homes of women to talk about serious issues, and one of her episodes was about domestic abuse and how it effects children, but more importantly it gave resources and tips on how to get out of these relationships. To put it simply, Oprah saved my mom's life. I often think about this, and also how my mom might have figured it out without Oprah's help (my mom is super smart), but the facts....are the facts. Oprah's speech was perfect in recognizing the power that film and television do, in fact, have. I also found Natalie Portman's retort of the "all male" directing category to be a memorable moment - it's not really fair to blame this on the Golden Globes, though, and I think it made the directors that were nominated feel bad about something that's not their fault. The real problem is that there AREN'T that many female directors, and just because they direct a film doesn't necessarily mean they should be nominated if they aren't worthy. My picks for best director this year are all men - Aronofsky, Villeneuve, Nolan, Wright, and Peele (and I haven't even seen The Post, The Shape of Water, or Three Billboards). The problem is systemic, and maybe that's changing, but I still applaud Natalie for pointing out the hypocrisy. The absolute worst part of the show is that Tonya Harding was not only there, but she was celebrated. I don't fucking understand! A show that was focused on women supporting other women is going to celebrate a woman who assisted in the violent attack of her competitor??? I haven't seen I, Tonya, and I actually look forward to it, and as I admitted previously, I have sympathy for Harding (as a victim of abuse), but she does not deserve praise in ANY form. I'm actually disgusted.

3. The Winners - The show was filled with so many "moments" that I don't actually remember who won. It sort of doesn't really matter. The Globes have never really predicted future Oscar winners, nor has it had any real impact on anyone's career. I think the only thing it has done lately, is pick fantastic new television. I emphasize the word "new" because the Globes have, for the past 3 years, chosen a "new" show over a "best" show. I haven't seen The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel and I'm sure it's good, but it's weird that Master of None has been consistently called the best television comedy of last year, and it lost to a show that no-one has watched. Also, HOW is the new Will & Grace nominated? I was a big fan back in the day, but the new season is almost unbearable to watch. There are a dozen other comedies that could have been nominated. I don't really have any issues with anyone else who won except maybe Elizabeth Moss, but then again, I haven't watched The Handmaid's Tale yet. I think she's a terrible actress, but I would love to be proven wrong.

4. The Fashion - One part of the whole "Time's Up" initiative that I whole heartily do not agree with is the "wear black" thing. First, it's a disservice to fashion designers. Awards shows are a big deal for fashion designers (and fashion is just as much of an art as entertainment is), and as much as women might not like to be asked "who are you wearing", it's part of the red carpet process. Obviously, the people behind this initiative see the importance of fashion, which is why they are using it to "take a stand", so again, it's hypocritical to shun the importance of "who are you wearing". Second, I found the whole thing to be a bit bullying. If someone didn't wear black they were singled out, as if they don't support women. Third, it's dumb. I can't even comment on the fashion because it was just a sea of boring black dresses. Yes, there are more important things in the world, but if you really feel like sending a message then maybe boycott the whole thing and volunteer at a women's shelter instead? Or, um, maybe wear dresses made by women designers?

3 comments:

  1. Having seen ads for The Handmaid's Tale, I'd have to agree about Elizabeth Moss' acting, but I too would hope to be proven wrong.

    Definitely agree about that Fashion point! I was thinking that an actor actually mentioning this subject when interviewed would probably have more of an effect than wearing some random black dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you watched Mad Men? I hated her so much in that.

      Delete
  2. OHHH, HER! I knew I recognized her from something!

    ReplyDelete