Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Holiday Movie Preview: 4 Films That I'm Excited About

1. I, Tonya - (12/8) In 1994, I was 13 years old. Two big celebrity stories unfolded that year, and I remember them so clearly because it was such a formative year for me (I mean, I'm sure most people in America remember them, but these were "the first" big celebrity news events for me). While the murder of Nicole Brown and the OJ trial had more of an impact on me, the story of Tonya Harding and Nancy Kerrigan was inescapable. And while I probably shouldn't admit it, I've always had a very tiny, minuscule, amount of sympathy for Tonya Harding because of her background. It was fascinating that someone from such poor circumstances actually made it to the Olympics - it felt so representative about what America (and the Olympics) were about, and then she let her jealousy of a wealthy, talented woman ruin everything. It's Shakespearean, really. I hope that this film explores this, because even though what she and her cohorts did is heinous and disgusting (and she should have served time in jail, in my opinion) - her story is not black and white. Plus, Margot Robbie is a great actress but I think she gets overlooked because of how stunning she is. This film was a smart, but very risky move for her.

2. Star Wars: The Last Jedi - (12/15) Ok, I'm not as excited as, like, most Star Wars fans, but as a new fan, I'm excited to see this one in a theater. Eventually. I mean, probably not until like February because I hate crowds, and man Star Wars crowds are THE WORST (hahahaha...I'm kidding. Kind of.).

3. The Post - (12/22) I don't think I've ever seen a film scream "Oscar" as much as this one - Tom Hanks and Meryl Streep in a STEVEN SPIELBERG historical drama that drops during Christmas week. I feel like it's almost too "on the nose" to be real. Can't you just picture this as a skit on SNL or something? Anyway, I'm all in. How could I not be???

4. Molly's Game - (12/25) This movie must have been pushed back??? I already wrote about it in my Fall Movie Preview and had it listed as a November release. Anyway, still can't wait for it. Jessica Chastain is a full-on Goddess.

No comments:

Post a Comment