Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Summer Movie Preview: 17 Movies That I'm Excited For

1. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2  (5/5) - The first one is a blast, and also the first movie of the MCU that I've watched multiple times - I think a total of 4 so far (the only other one that comes close is the first Iron Man, which I've seen twice). I've already read some early reviews about this sequel and they seem mixed, but it also just seems to be a bunch of DC and Marvel fanboys finding another excuse to argue with each other. If the movie is as fun as the trailer is, then I will be happy. Plus, Baby Groot makes me happy.

2. 3 Generations (5/5) - If you were to ask me to make a list of my current favorite actresses, Naomi Watts would be number two (although I alternate between her and Cate Blanchett for number one). Elle Fanning would definitely make the list - she's probably my second favorite "millennial" actress (behind Mia Wasikowska). Susan Sarandon has always been incredible; I actually forgot how amazing she is, but lately she is killing it on Feud and she was great in The Meddler. I think this movie looks kind of cheesy and will probably be over-dramatic, but I don't care - with this cast, I can't help but be excited.

3. Manifesto (5/10) - Um, Cate Blanchett as 13 DIFFERENT CHARACTERS?! Why is nobody talking about this? It's like a dream come true! I don't even care what it's about!

4. Alien: Covenant (5/19) - I was one of the few who didn't shit on Prometheus (it has its problems, but overall, I love the ideas that it presents). This looks like it steps back into more of a traditional Alien sequel, which I am all for. Although, I think a lot of questions that Prometheus asked will be answered, and even more will be left in question, but that's the beauty of these films. The trailer is pretty creepy too, plus I like Katherine Waterston.

5. Baywatch (5/25) - Yeah, I KNOW. And yeah, I DON'T CARE. I want to see this for three reasons: 1. Nostalgia - I spent my summers hanging out at Venice Beach when I was a kid and I used to watch them film scenes from the TV show. 2. I think Zac Efron is hilarious. 3. Alexandra Daddario is stunning. I was hoping she would finally do a project that doesn't rely on her looks (bc I think she's a great actress), but maybe next time?

6. Wonder Woman (6/2) - I have contained my expectations to a bare minimum so that I'm not disappointed. It's hard to not be FREAKING OUT that there is finally a Wonder Woman movie arriving on the big screen, but I also kind of hated the trailer. I mean, it was decent, but nothing about it seemed amazing. I have been a big fan of Wonder Woman since watching the old TV show when I was a kid and the tone of the trailer just seemed off to me. But I'm soooooo hopeful that I am dead wrong.

7. Rough Night (6/16) - I've written extensively about not really being a Scarlett Johansson fan (again for any newcomers - stunning woman, seems like a wonderful person, not a great actress). I am really interested in seeing her do an all out comedy though because one of the roles that I actually liked her in was Don Jon because she actually seemed like she was trying, and I adored her collaborations with Woody Allen - and those are lighter "comedy" type roles. I also love Jillian Bell - she makes me laugh so much.

8. The Beguiled (6/23) -  I so want to love a Sofia Coppola movie. My favorite is probably Marie Antoinette, but I don't love it. And I liked The Virgin Suicides when it first came out, but I tried watching it again a few years back and it was horribly dated and not even watchable. There are still many things I admire about Coppola, though. Her films have such a sense of style, interesting visuals, fantastic music, and poetic dialogue. It just never works for me no matter how hard I try. I'm hoping this is THE ONE, though.

9. Transformers: The Last Knight (6/23) - Ok, I concede, this is getting pretty tiring. I'm definitely done with the Transformers universe after the last one (which I still enjoyed to an extent). I won't see this in the theater, but I will still watch it once it's on home release. Just because I have to.

10. Baby Driver (6/28) - I am trying my best to avoid the trailer because I don't really want to know anything about it, but everyone seems to say really good things about it so I am excited.

11. The House (6/30) - Um, Amy Poehler. Done.

12. Spider-Man: Homecoming (7/7) - I really liked Tom Holland in the role of Spider-Man, so I've been looking forward to the solo film. I have successfully avoided the trailer so far, and hopefully I can continue this streak. The Raimi films are very special to me (the third one doesn't exist in my world), and I don't think anything will ever replace them. But, I enjoyed the "Amazing" Spider-Man movies very much. Probably because I just really like Spider-Man.

13. A Ghost Story (7/7) - I heard a lot of great things about this movie coming out of Sundance. Plus, Casey Affleck and Rooney Mara were already great together in Ain't Them Bodies Saints (even though I didn't love the movie). They have great chemistry, and I feel like they are both on the same acting level.

14. War for the Planet of the Apes (7/14) - Is this the last one? I don't even know, but I hope so. I have enjoyed them all, but enough is enough. Let's not drag it out anymore (AHEM Pirates of the Caribbean). I'm hoping for an epic ending though!

15. Atomic Blonde (7/28) - This is my most anticipated movie of the summer because of one reason: JAMES MCAVOY. I know, I know, Charlize Theron is the star and is going to undoubtedly kick some ass. But did you see how great McAvoy looks?! I might die of happiness while watching it. I admit, that this movie could end up being terrible, but McAvoy usually only picks quality projects so I think it's going to end up being AWESOME.

16. The Dark Tower (8/4) - I don't really know much about this Stephen King series, but Idris Elba is always a reason to watch a movie.

17. Detroit (8/4) - Katheryn Bigelow's next directorial effort, starring John Boyega and Will Poulter. I really like both of them - Boyega was bound to be a star even without Star Wars, and Poulter was the highlight of We're the Millers. I was honestly really looking forward to his rendition of Pennywise, so I was disappointed when that fell through. However, he's still making some strong acting choices.


No comments:

Post a Comment