Tuesday, November 15, 2016

3 Thoughts on Doctor Strange



1. The effects - Absolutely phenomenal special effects. The only way to describe it is a little bit M.C. Escher, a little bit Christopher Nolan's Inception, and a whole lot of "WHOA!". My mind was fully blown right from the very first scene. You can kind of see the effects during the trailer, but it's so much more beautiful in full sequences on the big screen. I rarely like watching movies in 3D, but I have a tinge of regret at not watching this in IMAX 3D because it's probably even more spectacular.

2. Benedict Cumberbatch - I think I've made it clear in the past that I'm not really a fan. He's okay. I don't really get the hype and I really don't get the whole "Cumberbitches" thing. I don't see anything above average enough for him to have such a cult-like following. And yes, I've seen Sherlock (it's decent but Elementary is a hundred times better, as is Jonny Lee Miller in the role of Sherlock). He's alright in this role, but the whole narcissistic, self-involved asshole turned superhero has been done before and in much better hands (*cough* Robert Downey Jr.). I never really feel like at any point in the movie he overcomes his own indulgence to transcend dimensions. He's told over and over again by The Ancient One (the always spectacular Tilda Swinton - someone who seems to transcend dimensions in real life) that "it's not about you"; and yet it's still about him even through the end. The supporting cast, though, is near-perfect. Aside from Swinton, there is Mads Mikkelsen, Chiwetel Ejiofor, and Benidict Wong - all are perfect. The only reason it gets downgraded to "near-perfect" is because of the mediocre Rachel McAdams (I like her, but compared to the other actors, she is the obvious weak link).

3. The MCU - A lot of people commented on how different this movie felt from other films in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, but I disagree. It felt very on-par with the Thor movies, which were also based more on fantasy and "different" worlds than our current world. It's far better than the Thor movies, but it's still as ridiculous (and I say that with love). I prefer the stories of Iron Man, Spider-man, etc.; the stories that, although are fantasy, still take place in the "real" world, not some alternate dimension with mythical creatures, spells that can reverse time, etc. I guess I just prefer science over magic, which is exactly the opposite of what this movie/character represents. That being said, I still love Guardians of the Galaxy, so if it's done well, I will embrace it. I just didn't connect with this one on any level whatsoever. It will be interesting to see how all of the movies connect, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment