Sunday, September 25, 2016

Fall TV Preview: 6 New Shows to Watch

I'm a little late with this post - I usually post about new Fall TV shows in early September, and by now some of these shows have aired one (or more episodes). Life has been busy, which I guess is a good thing, but I'm still going to be making some time for some promising new shows!! 

1. Speechless - Minnie Driver is a great actress who never really got the credit she deserves. Hopefully this is a stronger platform for her to showcase her talent. I'm watching this show mostly for her, but also if this show is successful, it could be a huge step forward for people with disabilities within the television industry. Diversity doesn't always mean race or gender; it just means showing real people. The first episode aired already, but I haven't caught it yet (it's one of the many shows on my filled DVR), but it seems to be getting some good reviews.

2. This is Us - I wasn't planning on watching this show, but then I saw many people on Twitter comparing it to Parenthood and then everyone on Twitter flipped their shit when the twist was revealed at the end of the pilot episode, so obviously I became intrigued. I have to say, the twist is great - and while I expected all of the characters to be connected in some way, I definitely didn't see that coming. The cast is excellent; especially newly minted Emmy winner, Sterling K. Brown. This is a perfect step for him. Plus, Mandy Moore is perfectly sweet and cheesy (although Scrubs ruined her for me - I will never NOT think of "that's so funny" when I see her in anything). It's not even close to Parenthood (and I don't foresee that happening), but it's still very promising.

3. Atlanta - Donald Glover is a genius. While I saw his comedic talent along with everyone else during his run on Community, it was his first rap album (as Childish Gambino) that I really took notice. It felt so different from every other rap album out there, and no, I'm not a rap connoisseur or anything, but usually when I see people rave about a rapper, I'll listen to a few songs and lately (as in the past 10 or so years), I've been very disappointed. Camp is probably my favorite rap album since Kanye West's debut. It's powerful, honest, and poetic - everything that rap used to stand for. This is exactly what Glover has brought to television - a powerful, honest, and poetic voice that is under-represented in the entertainment industry. Every episode has been perfect so far.

4. Designated Survivor - I just watched the pilot episode and I am definitely intrigued. It could really go either way, but I'm hopeful it doesn't go the way of other recent shows like The Blacklist, Quantico, and Blindspot, where it's just one twist after another until none of it makes sense anymore. I love Kiefer Sutherland, so I will probably watch no matter what, but it would be nice if it were actually a great show, right? The plot is pretty interesting (and surprising that it hasn't been done before, really), and I love the supporting actresses - Natascha McElhone and Maggie Q. I kind of feel like I already know who the "bad guy" is - and I won't spoil it, but I feel like it's really obvious (it's the same bad guy in every movie).

5. The Great Indoors - IT'S JOEL MCHALE. I miss him so much. I watched The Soup every week and I miss seeing him on my television every week (and it used to be twice a week with Community). This show looks dumb, but I don't even care. Also, McLovin is in it too. He's the very definition of adorkable.

6. Better Things - This will probably be my favorite new show of the season. I love Pamela Adlon so much, and I'm so happy that she is finally getting her due. This show is basically a female version of Louie, which is a fantastic idea. I almost wish they played together back-to-back because it's wonderful insight into the loneliness that comes along with being a parent, and also being famous - whether male or female. It's one of those shows that make you laugh, but then you feel bad for laughing. I'm in love with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment