Friday, April 11, 2014

Summer Movie Preview: 15 Movies that I am Excited About

1. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (5/2) - I was pretty indifferent on the first movie in the reboot of the Spider-Man franchise. It was an adequate story and Andrew Garfield is adorable as Spider-Man, but the villain was super weak (I honestly don't even remember who it was...). I think this will be a stronger movie - the marketing for it seems more confident and I love the addition of Dane DeHaan (as Harry Osborn). It seems that they have solved the "weak villain" problem - you know, by adding several "supervillains".

2. Neighbors (5/9) - I think this movie is going to be hilarious. I don't know why, but I have a really good feeling about it. I've liked Zac Efron in several movies, but I'm most excited for Dave Franco. He's so hilarious and I can totally picture him as a frat boy douche-bag. Also, Rose Byrne is in it too - she's proven that she can be hilarious (Bridesmaids, Get Him to the Greek), so I hope they utilize her properly (although I predict she will probably be relegated to the nagging wife role....*sighs*).

3. Godzilla (5/16) - Going blind on this one - well, not really because it's Godzilla. But, so far, I've avoided all of the sneak peak trailers and snippets that have been circling around. However, I've seen ALL positive feedback - all signs seem to agree that this movie is going to be fucking awesome. Plus, Bryan Cranston (minus, Aaron Taylor-Johnson. Fucking horrible actor).

4. X-Men: Days of Future Past (5/23) - The last time I truly enjoyed an X-Men movie was way back in 2000 (with the first X-Men). I enjoyed X-Men: First Class to a small degree; mostly because of James McAvoy. It was definitely an improvement over the awful sequels, but it was still mediocre - and there was some awful acting (ahem...January Jones. I ADORE her, but she was terrible in that movie). I'm excited that Wolverine will be a major part, as opposed to a cameo appearance, because I love Hugh Jackman in this role (but not enough to sustain a whole movie - not a fan of the Wolverine movies, either.).

5. Cold in July (5/23) - Michael C. Hall is my favorite television actor ever (he deserves every award ever for both Six Feet Under and Dexter). I can't wait for him to lead another television series (I've heard the Netflix Daredevil series rumors...that would be awesome!), but I'm excited that he's taking on some movie roles in the meantime. He did really well among the ensemble of actors in Kill Your Darlings and I think he will do well in a starring role.

6. Filth (5/30) - JAMES MCAVOY!!! I've heard that this role is batshit crazy and that McAvoy nails it (like he always does). It's based on the novel by Irvine Welsh (Trainspotting), so I am expecting sheer lunacy and chaosIt was released in the UK last year, but we are still waiting for it in the states. Good thing that I am patient. *waits patiently*

7. 22 Jump Street (6/13) - People really loved 21 Jump Street. I liked it. I was expecting to like it, though, so I didn't get the same shock that some people found. While everyone else in the world fell in love with Channing Tatum, I was already there. So, overall I found 21 Jump Street good, but a little repetitive. I'm still excited for a sequel but I'm also nervous that it's just going to be more of the same. Haven't seen or heard anything about the trailer, though. Is it up yet?

8. Transformers: Age of Extinction (6/27) - I don't care what anyone says - I will always be excited about a new Transformers movie. I LOVED the first one and was completely entertained by the second one. I admit, the third one was a little rough. I'm glad that Michael Bay is shaking things up a bit by changing the cast - and Marky Mark is the perfect addition. I did watch the teaser trailer for this (couldn't contain my excitement) and it is ridiculously good. I. Can't. Wait.

9. Snowpiercer (6/27) - I don't know much about this movie, but I've seen it mentioned more than a few times on my twitter feed and it's been mostly glowing comments about it. I'm interested in seeing Chris Evans do something dark and serious. Plus, I love Tilda Swinton - she's one of the best actresses around right now.

10. Begin Again (7/4) - I really liked Once, although I don't really remember it at all (that can't be a good sign...right?). "Falling Slowly" is still a song that regularly appears on my playlist - such a beautiful song. John Carney's new film seems to be just as musically inclined, plus it stars Mark Ruffalo (love) and Keira Knightley (I also love, just not usually in modern roles - maybe this will change my mind?).

11. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (7/11) - I was really skeptical of the reboot/prequel Rise of the Planet of the Apes, but I ended up enjoying it. I was impressed by the special effects, the heart of the story and it left me actually wanting more. I love that we get to see the apes actually take over the planet - that seems really cool.

12. Magic in the Moonlight (7/25) - Woody Allen's new film starring Colin Firth, Emma Stone and Marcia Gay Harden set in Paris during the 1920's. Yes, please.

13. Guardians of the Galaxy (8/1) - I really had no interest in this movie - it peaked once Bradley Cooper was cast, but then I realized that he's a CGI raccoon, so I was left disappointed. Then, the trailer came out and people flipped the fuck out. It made me a little interested, but then I watched it and now I am definitely interested. The trailer is hilarious. I'm glad to see Chris Pratt becoming a huge star; he's so funny on Parks and Recreation, but he's also an alum of The O.C (therefore, I automatically root for him). The movie doesn't seem to take itself very seriously, which should make for a great time watching it.

14. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (8/8) - Love Michael Bay. Love Megan Fox. Love the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I haven't seen the trailer, but I did see the pictures and I admit, they are not good. The turtles look pretty creepy. I also just saw an article in which Megan Fox describes her character as "strong, not sexy"....um....yeah....okay.

15. Frank Miller's Sin City: A Dame to Kill For (8/22) - I don't think we necessarily need a sequel to Sin City, but once I heard one was in the works, I was intrigued. Then, I waited for 9 years!!! Honestly, I'm sort of over it, but I think if I revisit Sin City again soon, I will get excited again. I LOVE that movie so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment