Monday, November 11, 2013

Holiday Movie Preview: 7 Films That I Am Excited About

1. Inside Llewyn Davis (12/6) - The Coen brothers have created movies that I love (No Country For Old Men, Burn After Reading), movies that I loathe (Intolerable Cruelty, The Ladykillers) and some movies that I simply like (Fargo, The Hudsucker Proxy).  I still haven't seen The Big Lebowski (I know!).  I've already heard some good things about Inside Llewyn Davis, plus the trailer is just perfection.  The Bob Dylan song, the clips of insanely good dialogue, the cat, the supporting cast.  I'm hoping it's on the "movies that I love" list.

2. American Hustle (12/13) - Holy fuck....this looks amazing.  I was trying to avoid the trailer, but it showed before 12 Years a Slave and I couldn't look away.  David O. Russell movies usually end up in my top 10 of the year lists, and this seems to be the case for this movie as well.  I can already picture the entire cast up for Oscars - especially Christian Bale, who once again, becomes unrecognizable for a role.

3. Her (12/18) - I already listed this in my "Fall Movie Preview", but the release date was pushed back. You can read about my excitement here: http://bit.ly/1hzQ9fD

4. Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues (12/20) - I'm not as excited as a lot of people are about this sequel to Anchorman and I have to admit I'm a little surprised at the support that it is receiving.  However, Anchorman is probably the last time I've laughed at a Will Ferrell movie (although I thoroughly enjoyed The Other Guys, but more because of Mark Wahlberg), so I am hoping this is a return to form for Ferrell.

5. Labor Day (12/25) - Is it weird that when I first heard about this movie, I assumed it was a Valentine's Day/New Year's Eve type movie? Fortunately, it's not. Instead, it seems like an intense drama featuring Kate Winslet and Josh Brolin. The part that has me most excited, though, is that it is Jason Reitman's new film!

6. The Wolf of Wall Street (12/25) - Again, this movie was featured in my "Fall Movie Preview", the gist was "HOLY SHIT, THE TRAILER IS FANTASTIC".  I've never been to the movies on Christmas Day, but this is pretty enticing.

7. August: Osage County (12/25) - I really wanted to see this on Broadway, but my laziness knows no bounds.  It's much easier to wait for a movie version.  Of course, the big draw is Meryl Streep and Julia Roberts, but the supporting cast is incredible: Margo Martindale, Juliette Lewis, Julianne Nicholson, Chris Cooper. The trailer and the poster make it seem like a dysfunctional family comedy, but I've heard that it's supposed to be very serious and depressing.  So now I am completely unsure of what to expect (which I like).

No comments:

Post a Comment