Sunday, February 17, 2013

Thoughts on 5 Films

1. The Odd Life of Timothy Green - I don't really have anything bad to say about this movie, but I don't have anything good to say either.  It's a cute story with a bit of a "magical" fairy-tale feeling and I appreciate a genuine live-action family film, but this just wasn't good enough to fit into the classical family film genre. I love, love, love (LOVE!!!) Jennifer Garner - (aka Sydney Bristow, my favorite female character ever, from one of my favorite shows ever), but I haven't seen her shine in a movie since 13 Going on 30 (one of the very few "chick-flick" movies that I adore, also can be considered a family film, as it has a wonderful message for young girls).  I want her to move away from these sweet roles and take on a bit more challenging roles (she can do it. Sydney Bristow is a tough role to play and she nailed it).  Joel Edgerton is an actor who has been around for a while, but people are finally taking notice of (thanks to an amazing performance in Warrior), but I found him awkward in this role.  The movie is probably more effective if you are parent.  I can't really relate to a film where the importance of a child scoring a winning soccer goal is stretched out for like an hour (ok...it was probably 15 minutes, but it felt like an hour. Is it really that important?).  I also think the film would have benefited from cutting out the whole "let me tell you a story" bit - just tell the story.

2. Premium Rush - I wasn't expecting too much with this movie, but I was fully satisfied with it.  It's a fun, little action movie that zips through the plot quickly and concisely.  I hate to admit it, but bikers in the city drive me crazy.  Not the sane ones, the ones that put other people's lives at risk because they think they don't have to follow the rules because they are on a bike.  As the main character says in the film "most people wish we would just get off the street".  Um...fuck yes, if you can't follow traffic laws, then yes, you should get off the street.  Sorry, for the rant, but while I am at it, here's another one: Why would anyone open their door for someone who claims to be a cop (like the stupid girl does in this movie)?  Are people really that stupid? Yes, I realize that people are, in fact, that stupid.  So, just in case this applies to you: call your local police station before you answer the door. They can verify the officer's identity and tell you why the officer is there. Any legitimate police officer would cooperate with you doing that.  Anyway, back to the movie, I loved the constant action and appreciated how much of a nightmare it must have been to coordinate the production.  I loved the narrative and how it went back and forth in the timeline to explain the plot from different view points.  And I loved, loved, loved the way it showed JGL's character imagining different scenarios consequential to which direction he rides his bike in.  Really cool.  The film suffered a bit from some convenient storytelling (like how he just happened to walk into the exact precinct that the cop works at - there are at least 50 precincts in NYC), but overall it was smart and coherent.

3. 10 Years - I sort of liked this movie.  I liked that it felt honest, the friendships seem real, there are some solid awkward moments, and even though there are some surprises and twists, it still is a quiet film. There are a shitload of likeable actors: Channing Tatum, Lynn Collins, Kate Mara, Chris Pratt, Ari Graynor, Aubrey Plaza...the list goes on.  I guess my issue with the movie, is that a film like this is made for an audience that can relate and I just can't.  I didn't go to my 10 year reunion and I honestly don't even know if my school had one.  I don't talk to anyone from high school, not on purpose, but I just moved around a lot and I am really bad at keeping in touch with people.  There is really no way anyone from my high school would even be able to contact me - I'm not on Facebook (!!), I have a twitter but it's not my real full name, and if you google me, there is another girl who has my name (even the same middle initial), suspiciously lived in several of the places that I have and is my age.  She's a lawyer, so that's the only way I know she isn't me!! I actually like being under the radar, almost non-existent. (Another rant, I know, it can't be helped).  My point is that I just can't relate to people that like to reminisce about the past.  It's weird to me that someone would harbor feelings for someone they haven't seen in 10 years.  It's past my point of comprehension.  I did appreciate that it showed that many people exaggerate how great their lives are, when in reality "we all have messes".   

4. Hope Springs - What a depressing fucking movie.  It certainly solidifies my decision to never get married.   It's about an older couple, Tommy Lee Jones as the cranky, emotionally unavailable husband and Meryl Streep as the loyal, but emotionally unfulfilled wife. He is also a bit of a bully (and slightly emotionally abusive), but she has been complacent about it for 30 years, so how can she suddenly ask him to change?  I can solve all of their problems with one word: DIVORCE.  Instead, they seek help via marriage counselor, played by Steve Carrell, who was oddly dull in this role. I really didn't root for them to stay together, so the whole movie is irrelevant. I don't know about you, but I really have no interest in watching Meryl Streep learning how to give a blow job (and this film officially ruined cookie dough for me.  Banana's were expected....but COOKIE DOUGH??  Why?), and it is really difficult to watch her talk about sex (and..um... masturbate).  I realize that is ageism at work, but I can't help it.  I don't want to see it.  Also, Elizabeth Shue is in it for a second (which is pretty depressing - I want her to score a solid role in something).  One more "Also", Meryl's name in the movie is "Kay", which constantly reminded me of Tommy Lee Jones as "K" in Men in Black.  Unnecessary distraction, but a distraction nonetheless.

5. Celeste and Jesse Forever - Another relationship movie, but this one is a little different, in that it's about a couple (played by Rashida Jones and Andy Samberg) after they divorce and still remain "best friends".  I adored the beginning scene - the song, Lily Allen's "Littlest Things", is perfect for the setting and the relationship between the two main characters is established really quickly.  I think the whole "friends with your ex" thing is totally possible, but I am constantly proven to be wrong.  It's clear in this movie that these "friends" are not completely over each other.  The problem begins when he starts to move on, and she goes bat-shit crazy.  I tend to think that films that portray women as "crazy" in (and out) of relationships is part of the problem in reality.  Not that films are responsible for human behavior, but films tend to "normalize" this "craziness" in a way; making women feel like it is completely acceptable to be jealous, insecure and weak- instead of promoting a healthy attitude towards relationships (like trusting your partner, accepting when things don't work out, and having the strength to move on).  But then again, maybe it is normal and I am just the odd one out.  If you love someone, you should want the best for them - even if that means it's not you.  Seems pretty logical to me.  I am on a ranting role today!!  The film redeems itself in the end, with their very honest blowout argument.  Other thoughts I had during the movie:  1. Rashida, please take off the hipster glasses - you are playing a "trend forecaster" not a "trend follower".  2. Why is there always a running joke about putting together Ikea furniture?  I've never had a problem putting anything together (and I literally have had every piece of Ikea furniture that exists).  3. Who is the woman that plays his new girlfriend?  She is stunning.  4.  Why can't anyone use Ari Graynor correctly?   She was hilarious in Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist, but has consistently been underused since.  Shameful.

2 comments:

  1. Good post!

    Is there any way to follow this blog? I can't see a 'follow' thing anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading!! I've added a "follow" button at the bottom of the page and also a "follow by email". I absolutely hate all of the changes to Blogger with Google +. The follow button was deleted and I kept forgetting to add it back on. Thanks for reminding me!!

      Delete