Monday, November 30, 2009

3 Reasons I Wouldn't Recommend Watching "The Road"

So after waiting a year for the release of "The Road", I was very excited to see it this past weekend. I have mixed feelings about the film because on a whole it was a great film (the acting was intense, the story was epic and the cinematography was beautifully bleak), yet I would never recommend it to anyone. Here is why.....

1. It is the most depressing film ever - I guess it is a given considering it is about a boy and his father trying to survive in a post-apocalyptic world. I just would have preferred not to sit through it - watching the worst of humanity. I would like to think that if the world ends, the survivors would unite rather than form gangs where they rape and eat little boys. It's not exactly an up-lifting or heart-warming film, instead it is about the darkest days of humanity - where there is no hope, no empathy, no reason to live...

2. "A curiously unmoving experience" - This is a quote from EW.com which sums up my feelings on this film. I think it was supposed to be an emotionally captivating experience, but for reasons beyond anything that I can explain - it wasn't. I didn't care about what happens to this boy or his father - possibly because I already knew it wouldn't be a happy ending, so why bother investing in the characters? I had absolutely zero emotions during this film, which really made me question the point of the whole film. I never read the book and especially have no interest in reading it now.

3. I would never watch it again - It would be torture.

The only reason I would say that this film is worth seeing is if you want to see some amazing acting. Viggo Mortensen and Charlize Theron are superb (as usual) and the boy (Kodi Smit-McPhee) is one of the best acting performances I have seen from a kid in a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment