Saturday, November 14, 2009

10 Films to See This Holiday Season

The Fall movie season was a complete bust, but at least the films coming out this Holiday season look much more appealing. Here are the films that I am excited about...

1. Up In The Air (12/4) - It is already garnering some rather impressive reviews, plus there is Oscar buzz for Clooney, new-comer Anna Kendrick and writer/director Jason Reitman. Add a supporting cast that includes Vera Farmiga and Jason Bateman and you could possibly have my favorite film of the year.

2. The Last Station (12/4) - Is it wrong that the only reason I want to see this film is for James McAvoy? It also has several other impressive stars - Helen Mirren, Paul Giamatti and Anne-Marie Duff (McAvoy's wife). The film is about Tolstoy, which could be extremely educational and interesting or incredibly dull. We will see....

3. The Lovely Bones (12/11) - I have no interest in reading this book, nor did I have interest in seeing the film - that is until I saw the trailer. WOW. I know Peter Jackson is supposed to be a film god but I am not really a fan (LOTR's films are simply just too long and boring and King Kong was ridiculous), however this film looks amazing. Plus, Saoirse Ronan is a great young actress and who knew that Stanley Tucci could be that...creepy...

4. A Single Man (12/11) - The directorial debut of fashion designer Tom Ford could be a complete disaster, but this film looks really strong and emotional- the story is of a gay English professor dealing with the death of his partner. Colin Firth is garnering Oscar buzz (finally!).

5. Avatar (12/18) - James Cameron's first film since Titanic - YES, it has taken him this long to complete this film - so it better be fantastic! So far, I am not really impressed with the trailer and I hate seeing films in 3-D (they give me a headache), but I am excited for Sam Worthington (the hot guy from Terminator: Salvation) and the special effects look outstanding.

6. It's Complicated (12/25) - o.k. so I don't really have much interest in seeing this film, but I know my mom will - therefore I will likely be seeing it this Christmas. At least the cast is amazing - and not just it's 3 super-stars - Meryl Streep, Alec Baldwin and Steve Martin- it also has a supporting cast that includes Hunter Parrish (LOVE him) and John Krasinski.

7. Sherlock Holmes (12/25) - Jude Law and Robert Downey Jr. - need I say more? The trailer doesn't really capture my interest in the way that I was hoping, however I still HAVE to see this film. I do like that they stuck to a dark version of Sherlock Holmes as opposed to a campy version. It also seems action packed and humorous. I hope so anyway.

8. Youth in Revolt (1/8) - I will literally sit through anything that Michael Cera does (proven by the fact that I watched Year One in its entirety..), so him being in this (and playing 2 different characters) is the sole reason I want to see this film. And I like the title. Is that a good reason?

9. Daybreakers (1/8) - Are there too many vampire films being released? Yes. Does it seem to be ending anytime soon? Nope. However, I really liked the trailer for this film. It seems different in that it takes place after vampires have already taken over, so that humans are the minority. I feel like it is a great idea, but will likely be overshadowed by the fact that it is yet another vampire movie.

10. Wonderful World (1/8) - I worked for Ambush Entertainment (the production company that produced this film) for a short while last year, so I was able to see a few different cuts of this film. I am excited to see the final product - it's not a great film by any means, but I like the story plus it has Michael K. Scott (from the fantastic show The Wire) and a great young actress Jodelle Ferland. The biggest downfall is Sanaa Lathan's accent - truly awful.

No comments:

Post a Comment