Sunday, May 17, 2009

3 Reasons I Liked "Star Trek", 3 Reasons I Didn't Like "Star Trek"

I am completely on the fence about whether I liked "Star Trek" or not. Here are reasons I liked it -

1. It met my expectations - I was hoping for a fun, summer movie and that is exactly what I got. I was surprised at how accessible it was, having never seen anything Star Trek I was expecting it to be a little over my head - but JJ did an amazing job at keeping the story universal. There were a few times where I heard laughs and whispers from the audience where I assume some inside reference was made, but not enough to distract me from the film. However, I did feel that the story was a little dull, the characters (aside from Spock and Scotty) weren't very interesting or likeable and the pace was a little slow. I feel like JJ focused so much on a universal story to reboot the franchise that he forgot to add any depth or complexity to the film.

2. Zachary Quinto as Spock - The only character that showed emotional depth, yet he was the least emotive character - which goes to show the acting talent that Zachary has. He also proved to have pitch perfect comedic timing, even Spock has a sense of humor.

3. The surprising appearance of lesser-known faces - JJ is very loyal to his Alias alum - did anyone else notice Rachel Nichols as the green girl (I assume she had a name, but I don't really care) and Clifton Collins Jr as an evil Romulan character? LOVED IT.

Here are reasons that I didn't like it -

1. Not interested in a sequel - As much as I had fun watching the film, I doubt a sequel would interest me. I also don't think I would have any interest in watching this one again. Star Trek is just not my cup of tea I guess.

2. Chris Pine as Kirk - I get that Captain Kirk is supposed to be a bit of a douche bag (I mean William Shatner is the king of being a douche bag), but he should be somewhat charming or at least funny, right? I didn't laugh at all with him or at him, I found him obnoxious and dull. So I guess if you are supposed to hate Captain Kirk, then Chris Pine did a great job.

3. The surprising appearance of well-known faces - I had no idea Winona Ryder was in the film, but an even bigger surprise is that she plays Spock's mother! Does anyone else feel uncomfortable with that? Also, Tyler Perry? That was just awkward.

No comments:

Post a Comment