Sunday, February 15, 2009

4 Reasons Why I Should Have Liked "Blindness"

I was really disappointed that I missed seeing "Blindness" in the theaters, I was sure it would be one of my favorite films of the year. I was finally able to watch it yesterday on DVD and was incredibly disappointed. Here is why I should have loved it:


1. Jose Saramago's masterful book - The book is obviously a masterpiece (it won the Nobel Prize for Literature) but more than that - it is an emotionally stirring look at humanity, morality and civilization. It disgusts me because it is true. There were several moments in reading it where I just had to put the book down because it made me physically ill. I questioned a film version because it was horrific enough to read - is a visual really necessary? However, it's a book that will stick with me forever and I thought it would be just as affecting as a film.


2. Fernando Meirelles makes beautiful films - The Constant Gardner and City of God - need I say more?


3. Mark Ruffalo, Julianne Moore and Gael Garcia Bernal - Who doesn't love Mark Ruffalo? He is an outstanding actor and he is super adorable (he can even do rom-coms like 13 Going on 30 although a bit awkwardly). Julianne Moore is also well-respected and talented. However both have made some poor choices (Rumor Has It.. and Laws of Attraction, respectively). But, Gael Garcia Bernal is an actor I really trust. I've never seen him in a bad film, so I assumed Blindness would be as incredible as his past work.


4. It's an epic, imaginative and thought-provoking story. What would you do if you suddenly went blind? Or if everyone went blind but you? Would civilization survive? or the strongest of that civilization? Would we help each other or look out for ourselves? It's an outstanding concept that can be extended to so many different levels. I have never been this grateful for the ability to see and be seen.

Unfortunately the film turned out to be bleak and somehow boring. The acting was mediocre and the story was drawn out. It wasn't exactly bad, just not as amazing as it could have been. How unfortunate.

No comments:

Post a Comment