Tuesday, December 9, 2008

5 reasons to see MILK ; 2 reasons not to...


1. Sean Penn - His performance has been praised by every critic that I have read and it is justified. His transformation into Harvey Milk is triumphant. I had no doubt in my mind that he would disappoint, because he never does. There is not much to say that hasn't already been said about this performance, so I will move on...

2. The supporting cast - Brolin, Franco & Hirsch - Josh Brolin has been making some amazing career choices lately - his consistency with being in great films is uncanny. Is his agent just that good at finding great material or should Josh get credit for choosing mediocre films and making them great (case in point - W.)? While the film doesn't focus on Dan White, Milk's eventual assassin, Brolin is superbly creepy and leaves a solid impression (Sequel anyone? I would love to see Brolin as White in the courtroom using the famous "twinkie defense."). While I have always placed James Franco in the "mediocre actor" category, he did successfully provide the film with some heart. Both Brolin and Franco have garnered some early supporting actor nominations (so far both are nominated for Critic's Choice awards, while Franco is also in the running for an Independent Spirit Award), but the real supporting actor worth watching is Emile Hirsch. Having a severe hatred for all things Emile, this was hard for me to admit (I probably enjoyed the failure of Speed Racer a little too much...). I will not go on the record yet as an Emile Hirsch fan - but he was extremely charismatic as Cleve Jones and displayed some much needed comedy in the film (his dancing was supposed to be funny...right?)

3. Dustin Lance Black - To know that the screenplay was written by someone who actually cares and was inspired by the life of Harvey Milk is motivating in itself. If you don't feel the inspiration read the article in Script Magazine in which he describes hearing a recording of Milk's speech when he was 14. In his own words he says "Harvey gave me life...he gave me hope". Which leads me to #4...

4. Inspiration and hope - I am not one to get emotional, but it's hard not too when you watch a film based 30 years ago knowing that the same issues are still being fought. Watching Harvey fight against Prop 6 in California bears a striking resemblance to the Prop 8 fiasco that was voted for several weeks ago. In the film, Harvey says "If a bullet should enter my brain, let that bullet destroy every closet door...and that's all. I ask for the movement to continue..." and that it does. I admit it was hard to watch, leaving me disappointed that our nation has not progressed as much as I would like it too, but then again there is still hope...

5. It's the edited version! - Biopics are boring and usually too long! Milk begins the story on Harvey's 40th birthday. No flashback to childhood, no background set-up - it cuts to the point which I always appreciate. My rule is that NO movie should be longer than 2 hours (ok this one is 2 hours & 8 minutes), but the the film focused on a few major events during a certain period in Harvey Milks history. As an audience we are intelligent enough to know that there were events that led up to this, but we don't need every detail - so thank you Dustin Lance Black for not wasting my time.

And the reasons not to...

1. Diego Luna - I don't know if it was Diego's overacting or if the character was just simply annoying. I know that Jack, one of Milk's lovers, is an important character, be he was not an entertaining character or even a complex character - just irritating. I don't know who is to blame or if it could have been avoided/fixed, but I was frustrated every time he appeared on screen.

2. Repetition - We get it - Harvey Milk gave inspiring, encouraging and brave speeches, but hearing several of them within 2 hours is a little desensitizing. I found myself zoning out...

No comments:

Post a Comment